Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The life of workers in late 19th century

The abundance of labourers affected the life of workers because--

1)There were ltd. job opportunities.Job seekers had to spend nights in night shelters or under bridges for many weeks waiting for jobs.
People having social connections got the jobs early.
2)In many industries, due to seasonal nature of work there were long periods of unemployment.
3)Due to rising prices,the real value(the purchasing power) of the wages declined.
4)The fear of unemployment made workers hostile to the introduction of machines.

It was only after1840s that there were greater employment opportunities due to rise in bldg.activities in cities.

Women workers in britain attacked spinning jenny because--

1)Spinning Jenny invented by James Hargreaves speeded up the spinning process & reduced demand for labour.
2)Women workers were surviving on spinning by hand.
3)The fear of unemployment made them hostile to machines therefore they attacked spinning jenny.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sir/Madam Adaab Its me Haroon from Draban Kalan Tehsil Kulachi District Dera Ismail Khan NWFP Pakistan, while searching information about my Tehsil Khulachi , I came across "Kulachi Hansraj Model School " Is there any relationship of this school with Kulachi with Tehsil Kulachi Dera Ismail Khan. I know two brother Takht Ram & Devi Dial khanju ,Bohrian wala Thal Inderpuri Delhi(they also run school in Delhi), they belong to Kulachi.It will be great news for me if it is as I thought definetly there some relationship between the founder of this school and our tehsil Kulachi. We have had arranged a visit in the Honour of Hindus of Kulachi, Kot Jai, Kulachi and my the Hinus of my own village Daraban Kalan to visit all these village but the brutal attacks on Mumbai has destroyed all my efforts of ten years. I am looking forward the reply in this regard and hope that you will reply me in any case. Haroon Rasheed00923339852851